2006 Cheltenham Gold Cup Result
This was one of the most open Gold Cup's in years and the bookies made Beef Or Salmon the 4/1 favourite and that just highlights why there was such ingterest from all the trainers in the UK and Ireland to take their place as anything had the opportunity to win the race with the absentee of the previous years winner Kicking King.
The winner War Of Attrition had good form with the Champion Hurdle winner Brave Inca and while he had stamina to prove, he had given plenty of encouragement over three miles against Beef Or Salmon at Leopardstown at Christmas.
In the race War Of Attrition got into the race on the final circuit out in the country and he went on from Forget The Past as they rounded the bypassed third-last and found plenty when Hedgehunter challenged him, keeping on strongly up the hill to win by 21/2 lengths from the consistent HedgeHunter.
- 1st War Of Attrition (IRE) M F Morris 7 11-10 C O'Dwyer 15/2
- 2nd Hedgehunter W P Mullins 10 11-10 R Walsh 16/1
- 3rd Forget The Past M J P O'Brien 8 11-10 B J Geraghty 9/1 10
- Un De Sceaux To Claim Clarence House Chase Hat Trick At Ascot
- Mont Des Avaloirs Tipped To Win Tolworth Hurdle At Sandown Park
- Punters Should Go Down Bishops Road For Their Welsh Grand National Bet
- Poetic Rhythm To Hit The Right Tune In Challow Hurdle At Newbury
- Progressive Thomas Campbell To Storm To Long Walk Hurdle Win At Ascot
- Clever Fox Norton Looks A Big Price For Stunning King George VI Chase At Kempton
- Unexposed Melon Should Be Too Juicy For Experienced International Hurdle Rivals
- Clan Des Obeaux Favourite To Win Caspian Caviar Gold Cup At Cheltenham